Today, I had lunch with a friend and it was really nice to see him but as nice as it was to see him, I was sorry too because he is very unhappy with his current gig.
It’s a shame when you know a person who is really talented but they can’t find that niche, that one spot in the world where they are fulfilled. I know that feeling intimately.
I myself want to find that niche in the world that will fully engage my talents but that’s a big ask. I started working again, a few weeks ago. I’m extremely happy to be working... extremely happy may even be a bit of an understatement because I REALLY needed to be working.
Work is weird now, it’s weird because I realize things about myself and the things that make me more productive and the things that discourage me.
I often wonder if companies really look at people as resources or assets anymore or if they simply look at people as disposable tools and nothing more.
Me, I know exactly the kind of situation I would thrive in and the kind I don’t. Primarily, I’m not an exceptionally huge fan of today’s open offices.
You know about open offices, right?
Open offices were something that took hold over the last decade plus but studies are now showing that they actually discourage productivity and hasten the spread of disease. People don’t have privacy anymore and privacy is something of a good thing. A little privacy goes a long way especially in a work environment. Making an office more like a factory floor is not something that will encourage creativity no matter how many people tell you it fosters collaboration if you take a look around and see all the noise cancelling headphones people wear you know that it’s a lie.
My friend though is working in a very small office where there is no privacy at all and I feel for him because in my current gig I often feel as if I have been been put on the proverbial iceberg and cast adrift in the floe.
It’s a strange thing to be sure.
You would think that people would play to others’ strengths but they don’t.
My friend is one of the most talented people I have worked with or run across but he is so very frustrated I can only imagine what torture each and every day is for him.
Still it was so good to see him if only to commiserate... misery does love company after all.
It’s a shame when you know a person who is really talented but they can’t find that niche, that one spot in the world where they are fulfilled. I know that feeling intimately.
I myself want to find that niche in the world that will fully engage my talents but that’s a big ask. I started working again, a few weeks ago. I’m extremely happy to be working... extremely happy may even be a bit of an understatement because I REALLY needed to be working.
Work is weird now, it’s weird because I realize things about myself and the things that make me more productive and the things that discourage me.
I often wonder if companies really look at people as resources or assets anymore or if they simply look at people as disposable tools and nothing more.
Me, I know exactly the kind of situation I would thrive in and the kind I don’t. Primarily, I’m not an exceptionally huge fan of today’s open offices.
You know about open offices, right?
Open offices were something that took hold over the last decade plus but studies are now showing that they actually discourage productivity and hasten the spread of disease. People don’t have privacy anymore and privacy is something of a good thing. A little privacy goes a long way especially in a work environment. Making an office more like a factory floor is not something that will encourage creativity no matter how many people tell you it fosters collaboration if you take a look around and see all the noise cancelling headphones people wear you know that it’s a lie.
My friend though is working in a very small office where there is no privacy at all and I feel for him because in my current gig I often feel as if I have been been put on the proverbial iceberg and cast adrift in the floe.
It’s a strange thing to be sure.
You would think that people would play to others’ strengths but they don’t.
My friend is one of the most talented people I have worked with or run across but he is so very frustrated I can only imagine what torture each and every day is for him.
Still it was so good to see him if only to commiserate... misery does love company after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment